Sunday, July 28, 2013

EDU 710 Reflections of Module 2 - Online Collaborative Inquiry

So much was covered in this module that it is difficult to for me to narrow down the salient points.  I think I will detour from the narrative type of writing that I have been doing and present bullet-ed thoughts from my notes on all the information I have digested.  I also am learning that I have to work out some more efficient ways to study and reflect on all the material for these 3 classes so that I can, at the same time, fulfill my other "life" obligations.

  • Some of the nature of online inquiry is that we are simultaneously engaging in the two processes of teaching and learning.  
  • As a "newbie" to the worlds of blogging, online posting, and responding, I am overwhelmed by the positive lessons that are exchanged by using online collaborative inquiry.
  • I watched the module videos first as I am realizing that multimodal learning is truly enjoyable for me. There is something about the visual and audio elements seems to enable the information to sit deeper in my brain.  
  •  I asked my entire family to watch the 3 videos a second time with me because I thought the messages were so important.  
  • The John Seeley Brown  clip speaks to the point of motivation and students desire to be the best and perfect something.  His Hawaiian neighbor sends his new move around the world via you tube in only 48 hours, that is one powerful testimony to teaching and learning.
  • Will Richardson's presentation made me think about my daughter.  She is 16 and has always demonstrated a strong propensity toward auditory and visual learning.  As a student who struggles with reading the printed word she has found the Internet to be a saving grace.  She constantly educates me about ways to be more involved with online inquiry.  
  • The reaction from Will's daughter's music teacher was so very disheartening to me.  To suggest that the child was "not ready" to learn the Journey song told me that that teacher did not understand the very lyrics of the song..."don't stop believing"!  
  • He expressed my sentiments when he spoke about the need to drastically change the way we define school and curriculum to more appropriately reflect the online world as we know it today.
  • Now the piece by Dan Pink was fabulous.  I just love that man's style.  His concepts and drawings are so interestingly interwoven that I think he covers a large amount of content in a relatively short time.
  • As a person new to blogging I found the Arzt article to be extremely informative and a great resource that I will certainly share with our staff.  The current statistics, the tables in the article, the references to the technology standards, and the practical ideas on how to use blogging in the classroom are all very user friendly.  I enjoyed the quad blogging with classes around the world.  I put this article in my pocket to go to later to follow more of the links.  This will definitely be an article to use for some professional learning community at school.  Not just for math but across all content and all grades.
  • Digital footprints article... teachers and administrators need to read this because too often their main fear is the inappropriate use of technology and law suits which may arise form inappropriate technology usage
  • Students who behave in risky behavior off line are more likely to do it online-interesting thought
  • It is all about teaching students to be heard about the good things they are doing
  • Audience and recognition for doing a good deed a day
  • Seeing social media as forums for learning and sharing
  • Teach our children not to be afraid of being on line but learning how to create an online identity that you are proud of.  
  • Your digital footprint is the modern day resume..
  • Way of the wiki gave good overview I put it in my pocket to go to later and click the links
  • Ian's article on "Creating and Curating Your Online Brand gave me much food for thought.  I was inspired to look at my Google profile as well as his and several other people that I know.  The long term ramifications of creating my own online brand are deserving of much thought and a small investment of time.  I have started the ball rolling as to how I am defining myself in this new personal and professional digital direction.  I have always kept my personal and professional accounts and activities separate.  I will continue this practice but will move slowly as I progress through the process of developing myself "digitally".
  • Controlling your digital identity by Lisa Nielsen- again very practical I went on my Google profile after reading Ian's article, will try "Spezify" later...Next I tried Persona but got the error message- "network error please refresh your network try again"  I tried again and moved on
  • went to pocket and realized that I need to decide between pocket and ever note  and between drop-box and ever note premium-- now I get it I need to pick a data silo in the sky
  • I could do one for personal and one for professional?
  • Nine themes of digital citizenship  by Mike Ribble was an informative and very helpful description to me.
  • His last sentence under # 1 makes me wonder how we can deny digital access to all in our poor urban school districts?
In summary, there are thousands of benefits to ensuring that our students have opportunities to co-construct learning as they research online.  I will play with this concept and try, and fail, and learn more, over the course of this year and I can not wait!!!





3 comments:

  1. I too tried all of the sites to discover my digital footprint. Unless you're musical, I don't think you'll find anything on Spezify. My son is there. He posted music on Spotify. I was most excited about Persona, and got that same error message!
    Creating your digital brand is like moving to a new school and projecting the parts of your real self that you want others to see, not the stereotype of yourself that people develop over time. Pretty exciting stuff! It does take time and consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also trying to figure out how to handle the personal and professional aspects of my digital footprint. I'm now seeing it as more of an issue of student interaction vs. adult interaction. I interact with students online only through school sites and only about the work they are doing in school. I'm moving towards making everything else more public through my blog, google+, etc. Still working this out. Enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete