Tuesday, March 25, 2014

"Growing Digitally" Personal Online Case Study


It is always critical to examine myself as a learner and a teacher at the same time.  My tendency is to teach others the way that I learn.  This semester has opened my eyes to so very many new ways of teaching and learning.  I have learned that tools such as Twitter, Storify, Evernote, and Google tools can change the way we receive and deliver education.

The data reveals that my participation in certain forms of digital activity has increased this semester.  Here is a quick summary:

Activity                          As of 05/14/13                          As of 3/25/14
Tweets                                  13                                                 209
Twitter Following                   29                                                   78
Twitter Follower G+              13                                                    31
people in circles
Storifys                                    0                                                    11

I have also recreated my digital learning hub and collaborated on a site where teachers can post math performance tasks called NHPS Math Media Hub.  I started the semester using Pocket to "house" articles of interest and have explored, and decided to utilize Evernote Pocket because there are so many functions available.  I have become more proficient at tagging, archiving, and developing my own online "brain" or way of thinking and organizing my thoughts.

This semester I have become more social online than I have ever been before.  The DLMOOC has encouraged me to be a part of a very exciting and powerful deeper learning mindset.  The discussions, tweets, posts, and hangouts have been fantastic.  I feel connected to many people who share a belief in possibilities to transform education.  I have seen so many first hand examples of what deeper learning can mean.  I  realize the significance that videos and Google Hangouts can have on learning and teaching and appreciate them in terms of my own learning style.

As I look toward the future I think about what I want to do to become a proficient blended educator.  I hope to continue to add to my blog as a part of my way of processing or "thinking things out".  I see myself continuing to add to my learning hub as part of my normal routine.  I will continue to work on a professional level to advocate for greater efforts toward digital literacy in my school district. I will continue to develop my professional, social, network.  I will continue to examine the pros and cons of social networking uses in the classroom.  I feel like I am just beginning to understand what the term curating means.  This journey into digital literacy is always exciting to me.  I look forward to continued growth in the near and distant future.

No comments:

Post a Comment